assigning multi-line strings to variables

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 06:51:03 EDT 2010

On 04/30/10 12:07, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> On 30.04.2010 01:29, * Carl Banks:
>> On Apr 28, 11:16 am, "Alf P. Steinbach"<al... at start.no>  wrote:
>>> On 28.04.2010 18:54, * Lie Ryan:

>>> Yes, that's been mentioned umpteen times in this thread, including
>>> the *very
>>> first* quoted sentence above.
>>>
>>> It's IMHO sort of needless to repeat that after quoting it, and
>>> providing yet
>>> another example right after quoting an example.
>>>
>>> Probably you didn't notice?
>>

>> I think he repeated it just to let people know that they can get what
>> they want without following your adsurd advice.
>
> Perhaps you could quote the advice that you find absurd, and explain how
> you interpret the quoted text?
>
> My previous experience with you is that you immediately called me
> "insane" (and worse) for suggesting a solution that could work in
> principle and did work in practice for the problem posed in that thread;
> I think you resorted to such characterizations because you had stated
> that it was impossible.

I don't know about your feud with Carl, but for this particular thread,
the problem is that your solution involves much more manual work than is
necessary. Even worse, you suggested to "write a Python script to format
it for you". That is the worse piece of advice I've ever heard.

Yes, your advices works perfectly if you follow it; except that it adds
something to my worklist instead of lifting it.