Why is python not written in C++ ?

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Mon Aug 2 03:05:29 CEST 2010

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> On 8/1/2010 7:08 PM, candide wrote:
>> Python is an object oriented langage (OOL). The Python main
>> implementation is written in pure and "old" C90. Is it for historical
>> reasons?
> Python was first released before C++.

C++ was named C++ in 1983 (development on it started in 1979) and the
first commercial implementation was released in 1985 [1]. Implementation
of Python started in December 1989 [2].

So: no. (I was quite sure on this, since I started to program in C++ in
the late 80's/early 90's IIRC).

John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/