Why is python not written in C++ ?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Mon Aug 2 18:18:30 EDT 2010

On 2 Aug, 01:08, candide <cand... at free.invalid> wrote:

> Has it ever been planned to rewrite in C++ the historical implementation
> (of course in an object oriented design) ?

OO programming is possible in C.  Just take a look at GNOME and GTK.

Perl is written in C++. That is not enough to make me want to use
it ;)

To be honest, C++ can be a great tool. But very few know how to use it
correctly. C++ textbooks are also written by people who don't
understand the language, and teach bad habits. The typical examples
revealing incompetence are use of new[] instead of std::vector, and
dynamic resourse allocation outside contructors.

C++ compilers used to be bloatware generators; C++ compilers of 2010
are not comparable to those of 1990. C++ is also a PITA for
portability. It is not sufficient for Python to only build with
Microsoft Visual Studio.