Why is python not written in C++ ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Aug 2 21:03:55 EDT 2010

In article <i37ire$7gd$1 at panix5.panix.com>, aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz)
wrote:

> http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/May/stroustrup.html

The same story has been floating around for eons, just with the names
changed.  I saw one where Wirth was ostensibly making fun of the people
who didn't understand that Pascal was all just a joke.

I'm sure if you go back far enough, you can find a McCarthy / Lisp
version.  It probably goes something like, "So, anyway, we tried to
figure out what was the most absurd way to abuse punctuation we could
imagine.  Somebody suggested that every program would have to end with
37 close parentheses.  When we finally stopped laughing, we started
sketching out a grammar on the chalkboard that would let us do that".