Why is python not written in C++ ?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Aug 3 10:05:13 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-02, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> In article <f9e652d6-3945-4c18-92f3-b85b994feb0b at k8g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> Peter  <peter.milliken at gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Aug 3, 7:42=A0am, Mark Lawrence <breamore... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On 02/08/2010 00:08, candide wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't understand why any serious programmer mentions C++. As soon
>>> as I read it, I have to rush either to the kitchen to find a bowl to
>>> throw up in, or head for the toilet so I can talk to the great white
>>> telephone.
>>
>>With you there Mark - IMO C++ is an abortion that should never have
>>seen the light of day. The idea of experimenting with creating an OO
>>language by extending C wasn't such a bad idea for a "play thing" (by
>>Stroustrop) but the fact that it somehow escaped from the Lab and
>>people picked it up and ran with it on a commercial basis is just
>>plain wrong!
>
> http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/May/stroustrup.html

It's funny (and sad) because it's so close to being true.

(The effect, I mean, not necissarly the intent.)

There's no computing problem so simple that it can't be solved in a
complex and obtuse manner in C++.

I know that's true of any language, but from what I've seen over the
years, it "more true" in C++.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Should I get locked
                                  at               in the PRINCICAL'S