checking that process binds a port, fuser functionality

Zdenek Maxa zdenekmaxa at
Tue Aug 3 16:32:45 CEST 2010

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: checking that process binds a port, fuser functionality
From: Roy Smith <roy at>
To: python-list at
Date: Tue Aug 03 2010 13:06:27 GMT+0200 (CEST)

> In article <pan.2010. at>,
>  Nobody <nobody at> wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:27:37 +0200, Zdenek Maxa wrote:
>>> I need to start a process (using subprocess.Popen()) and wait until the
>>> new process either fails or successfully binds a specified port.
>> If you just need to wait until *something* is listening on that port, you
>> could try connect()ing to it.
> This certainly seems like the logical way to me.  It's straight-forward,
> simple, and portable.

Yes, but I need a check that certain known process's PID listens on a
defined port.
connect() would certainly work, but I may end up connecting to a
different process.
I forgot to mention that my master daemon starts processes in question
as external
applications, defines port they should bind but starts them via
different user via sudo,
which makes checking /proc/net/tcp not possible.
Well, seems it's turning out not straight-forward, but thanks a lot for
your thoughts anyway!