Trying to set a cookie within a python script

Νίκος nikos.the.gr33k at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 21:41:42 EDT 2010

>On 3 Αύγ, 21:00, Dave Angel <da... at ieee.org> wrote:

> A string is an object containing characters. A string literal is one of
> the ways you create such an object. When you create it that way, you
> need to make sure the compiler knows the correct encoding, by using the
> encoding: line at beginning of file.

mymessage = "καλημέρα"   <==== string
mymessage = u"καλημέρα"  <==== string literal?

So, a string literal is one of the encodings i use to create a string
object?

Can the encodign of a python script file be in iso-8859-7 which means
the file contents is saved to the hdd as greek-iso but the part of
this variabel value mymessage = u"καλημέρα" is saved as utf-8 ot the
opposite?

have the file saved as utf-8 but one variuable value as greek
encoding?

Encodings still give me headaches. I try to understand them as
different ways to store data in a media.

Tell me something. What encoding should i pick for my scripts knowing
that only contain english + greek chars??
iso-8859-7 or utf-8 and why?

Can i save the sting lets say "Νίκος" in different encodings and still
print out correctly in browser?

ascii = the standard english character set only, right?

> The web server wraps a few characters before and after your html stream,
> but it shouldn't touch the stream itself.

So the pythoon compiler using the cgi module is the one that is
producing the html output that immediately after send to the web
server, right?

> > For example if i say mymessage = "καλημέρα" and the i say mymessage = u"καλημέρα" then the 1st one is a greek encoding variable while the
> > 2nd its a utf-8 one?
>
> No, the first is an 8 bit copy of whatever bytes your editor happened to
> save.

But since mymessage = "καλημέρα" is a string containing greek
characaters why the editor doesn't save it as such?

It reminds me of varibles an valeus where if you say

a = 5 , a var becomes instantly an integer variable
while
a = 'hello' , become instantly a string variable

> mymessage = u"καλημέρα"
>
> creates an object that is *not* encoded.

Because it isn't saved by the editor yet? In what satet is this object
in before it gets encoded?
And it egts encoded the minute i tell the editor to save the file?

> Encoding is taking the unicode
> stream and representing it as a stream of bytes, which may or may have
> more bytes than the original has characters.

So this line mymessage = u"καλημέρα" what it does is tell the browser
thats when its time to save the whole file to save this string as
utf-8?

If yes, then if were to save the above string as greek encoding how
was i suppose to right it?

Also if u ise the 'coding line' in the beggining of the file is there
a need for using the u literal?

> I personally haven't done any cookie code. If I were debugging this, I'd
> factor out the multiple parts of that if statement, and find out which
> one isn't true. From here I can't guess.

I did what you say and foudn out that both of the if condition parts
were always false thast why the if code blck never got executed.

And it is alwsy wrong because the cookie never gets set.

So can you please tell me why this line

cookie['visitor'] = ( 'nikos', time() + 60*60*24*365 )		#this cookie
will expire in an year

never created a cookie?