subprocess escaping POpen?!

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 07:58:20 EDT 2010

Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
> You did not redirect stdin, so it is expected you can still read input
> from the console.

Okay, so if I definitely wanted no input, what should I pass as the
stdin parameter to the POpen constructor?

> And it looks like svn is writting the credentials
> prompt on stderr.

...which, as you can see from the code I posted, is piped to STDOUT,
which is then PIPE'd through to the calling python so that
communicate()'s return value will contain the output.

As I explained, I can't reproduce this by replacing svn with a simple
python script that writes to stderr. So, what is svn doing?

> You may want to look at http://pysvn.tigris.org/docs/pysvn.html though.

Yeah, we were using that, but found it excruciatingly painful due to its
dependency on a subversion source install due to its c extension.

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk