Python Portability--Not very portable?

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 14:24:57 EDT 2010

> As an example, my inexperienced Python partner 30 miles away has gotten
> out of step somehow. I think by installing a different version of numpy
> than I use. I gave him a program we both use months ago, and he had no
> trouble. (We both use IDLE on 2.5). I made a one character change to it
> and sent him the new py file. He can't execute it. I doubt he has
> changed anything in the intervening period.

I'm curious:  what was the one character change?   And does your
original program still work for him?  Why did he install a different
version of numpy if things were working for him?

By the way, posting "x doesn't work" on a forum never gets you
any help, because clairvoyance is not real  :D.  Posting actual error
messages sample code does.

> A further example. Months ago I decided to see if I could compile a
> program to avoid such problems as above. I planned to satisfy that need,
> and see if I could distribute some simple programs to non-Python
> friends. I pretty well understand the idea,and got it working with a
> small program. It seemed like a lot of manual labor to do it.

As someone mentioned, you don't "compile" anything in Python.
You can make a .exe file, though, using, as you know, py2exe.
I find using GUI2Exe (which requires you have wxPython) to make
things
much easier and then if you want to be even fancier, use InnoSetup to
make an installer.

Once you get a working script in py2exe/GUI2Exe, it is usually a snap
to make a new version of your .exe after changing your code a bit.

As far as then updating your .exe files with your non-Python friends,
you should search this newsgroup for Esky, which seems like a very
nice idea for doing this very thing.

Che