Why is python not written in C++ ?

Fri Aug 6 22:05:16 EDT 2010

In message <mailman.1681.1281102958.1673.python-list at python.org>, David
Cournapeau wrote:

> I have yet seen a project where you could build C code with a C++
> compiler - the only ones I know are specifically designed that way and
> it is painful.

I seem to recall a FAQ entry, might have been on kernelnewbies.org, asking
why the Linux kernel wasn’t written in C++. The answer explained that at one
time there was an experiment to make the kernel compilable with a C++
compiler, without actually using any C++ features. The result: they lost
about 10% in speed. That was enough to put the kernel developers off taking
the experiment any further.