Python Portability--Not very portable?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Aug 7 16:00:39 EDT 2010

> As an example, my inexperienced Python partner 30 miles away has gotten
> out of step somehow. I think by installing a different version of numpy
> than I use. I gave him a program we both use months ago, and he had no
> trouble. (We both use IDLE on 2.5). I made a one character change to it
> and sent him the new py file. He can't execute it. I doubt he has
> changed anything in the intervening period.

You'll find that many people will be very skeptical wrt. this story:
this kind of thing really isn't supposed to happen, and it's difficult
to believe that it failed just because of the one-character change.

You already said that that the change was adding a minus sign somewhere.
Can you now kindly also report what then the problem was that your
partner encountered (specific error message would be appreciated).

> A further example. Months ago I decided to see if I could compile a
> program to avoid such problems as above. I planned to satisfy that need,
> and see if I could distribute some simple programs to non-Python
> friends. I pretty well understand the idea,and got it working with a
> small program. It seemed like a lot of manual labor to do it.

It's a lot of manual labor only the first time. When you package the
next version of the same software, manual labor should be minimal.

Regards,
Martin