Python "why" questions

Hexamorph hexamorph at gmx.net
Sat Aug 7 19:06:34 EDT 2010

rantingrick wrote:

> Well not if you are referring to how people "say" things. But what
> people "say" and the facts of reality are some times two different
> things. Heck we even have a few folks in this group who overuse the
> expression "used to" quite frequently in place of the more correct
> term "previously" -- i won't give names.

<RANT>

Rick, do you know *ANY* other language other than English? Not
everybody understands English on an Oxford level (and I doubt you
do). You're just a loud-mouthing (probably incorrect English) idiot.
(Spare your comments about personal attacks, you're not so stupid to
not know why you regularly receive such comments)

Lurking for long enough to know your style. Looking at your Unicode
rant, combined with some other comments and your general "I am right
and you are wrong because you disagree with me." style, I came to
the conclusion, that you are either a faschist or the perfect role
model for an imperialistic, foreign culture destroying,
self-praising, arrogant, ignorant moron.

> When any object is "born" (whether it be a life form, or a planet, or
> even a class instance) "it" will be zero years old until 1 year of
> time has passed has passed.

A year is not the smallest index. A year is 365 days is 8760 hours
is 525600 is 31536000 minutes, and so on and so on and so on...

That's *totally* different from array[0], array[1], etc. There is
*NO* array[0.5].

Going down to the smalled possible time scale (quantum physics level
), what is the the correct index for "my baby is *just* born, hence
it's X quantum leap old." where x might be 0 or 1.

Yes, I know that this is nonsense (since such a discrete quantum
leap doesn't even exists) but so is the whole discussion.

Something starts at 0, others at 1. You only have to add/sub 1
depending on the situation. Mind-boggling, I must say!

And really, even brand-new programmer will face *A LOT* harder
problems than this. Programming is not stamp collecting! Programming
  requires a half working brain, and those who don't have that,
should  sort their stamps while watching some "Next top model" stuff
on TV.

</RANT>

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Einstein