Renaming of files in OS directory

blur959 blur959 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 06:23:28 EDT 2010

On Aug 8, 6:05 pm, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollans.com> wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 10:35 AM, blur959 wrote:

> >> Well, what directory did you input? Apparently it wasn't a valid or extant one.
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Chris
> >> --http://blog.rebertia.com
>
> > I input for e.g, "C:" it works, basically, if i input a hard code
> > string inside os.listdir it works, but if i stored the string that the
> > user keyed inside a variable and run os.listdir with the variable,
> > there is that error. But inputing hard code string inside os.listdir
> > isn't what I want when I am writing this program.
>
> You didn't answert the question. What is the actual string you pass to
> os.listdir after you got it from the user? You could
>     print repr(fileroot)
> to find out.
>
> My tentative guess is that maybe Windows doesn't like newlines in file
> names (I know UNIX allows them, but they're still usually a bad idea)
> and maybe you string ends with a newline.

I do not get what you mean. The string i passed in is stored inside
the variable fileroot. In the case I tested, i inputed the string "C:
\" inside the raw_input and stored it inside fileroot, I tried
printing repr(fileroot) and it gave me "C:\" as the result and when i
tried running os.listdir(fileroot) i got the error. The string i
passed to os.listdir is the string i keyed inside fileroot under the
raw_input?