Replace and inserting strings within .txt files with the use of regex

Νίκος nikos.the.gr33k at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 10:06:20 EDT 2010

On 8 Αύγ, 15:40, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollans.com> wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 01:41 PM, Νίκος wrote:
>
> > I was so dizzy and confused yesterday that i forgot to metnion that
> > not only i need removal of php openign and closing tags but whaevers
> > data lurks inside those tags as well ebcause now with the 'counter.py'
> > script i wrote the html fiels would open ftm there and substitute the
> > tempalte variabels like %(counter)d
>
> I could just hand you a solution, but I'll be a bit of a bastard and
> just give you some hints.
>
> You could use regular expressions. If you know regular expressions, it's
> relatively trivial - but I doubt you know regexp.

Here is the code with some try-and-fail modification i made, still non-
working based on your hints:

id = 0  # unique page_id

for currdir, files, dirs in os.walk('varsa'):

    for f in files:

        if f.endswith('php'):

            # get abs path to filename
            src_f = join(currdir, f)

            # open php src file
            print 'reading from %s' % src_f
            f = open(src_f, 'r')
            src_data = f.read()         # read contents of PHP file
            f.close()

            # replace tags
            print 'replacing php tags and contents within'
            src_data = src_data.replace(r'<?.?>', '')             #
the dot matches any character i hope! no matter how many of them?!?

            # add ID
            print 'adding unique page_id'
            src_data = ( '<!-- %d -->' % id ) + src_data
            id += 1

            # add template variables
            print 'adding counter template variable'
            src_data = src_data + ''' <h4><font color=green> Αριθμός
Επισκεπτών: %(counter)d </font></h4> '''
            # i can think of this but the above line must be above </
body></html> NOT after but how to right that?!?

            # rename old php file to new with .html extension
            src_file = src_file.replace('.php', '.html')

            # open newly created html file for inserting data
            print 'writing to %s' % dest_f
            dest_f = open(src_f, 'w')
            dest_f.write(src_data)      # write contents
            dest_f.close()

This is the best i can do. Sorry for any typos i might made.

Please shed some LIGHT!