Regular expression issue

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollybox.de
Sun Aug 8 18:32:55 EDT 2010

On Monday 09 August 2010, it occurred to genxtech to exclaim:
> I am trying to learn regular expressions in python3 and have an issue
> with one of the examples I'm working with.
> The code is:
>
> #! /usr/bin/env python3
>
> import re
>
> search_string = "[^aeiou]y$"

To translate this expression to English:

a character that is not a, e, i, o, or u, followed by the character 'y', at
the end of the line.

"vacancy" matches. It ends with "c" (not one of aeiou), followed by "y"

"pita" does not match: it does not end with "y".