Python Portability

Martin v. Loewis martin at
Sun Aug 8 21:29:44 CEST 2010

> Add-Remove would be a very good answer, except for one thing. Understand
> that I'm in Win7 so CP takes on a different form. On Control Panel
> Add-Remove, I can find exactly two Python files: Python 2.5, and
> python-Numpy-1.2.0. No scipy anything.

Well, it should be there. Perhaps it was installed by a different user,
and will only show up when that user goes into CP?

Do you recall what procedure you have used for installation?

> Well, this is interesting. I just
> noticed Martin v. Loewis on the Python 2.5 entry. That's you, right?

Correct. I keep building the installers, but was asked to put Python
Software Foundation into the creator field of the MSI file.

> I think I posted the errors my partner got above. Let me look. Yes,
> here's the copy.
> He gets
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator.DavesDesktop\Desktop\",
> line 40, in <module>
>     from scipy import stats as stats # scoreatpercentile
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\", line 7,
> in <module>
>     from stats import *
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\", line 191,
> in <module>
>     import scipy.special as special
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\", line
> 22, in <module>
>     from numpy.testing import NumpyTest
> ImportError: cannot import name NumpyTest

There is no way this can be attributed to an addition of a single character.

In your partner's version of numpy.testing, there is no name NumpyTest.
That sounds alright - in my version of numpy, there is no
numpy.testing.NumpyTest, either. However, the line in
special\, on my system, reads

from numpy.testing import Tester

So it looks like that the scipy version and the numpy version don't