Replace and inserting strings within .txt files with the use of regex

Νίκος nikos.the.gr33k at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 02:31:57 EDT 2010

On 8 Αύγ, 17:59, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollans.com> wrote:

> Two problems here:
>
> str.replace doesn't use regular expressions. You'll have to use the re
> module to use regexps. (the re.sub function to be precise)
>
> '.'  matches a single character. Any character, but only one.
> '.*' matches as many characters as possible. This is not what you want,
> since it will match everything between the *first* <? and the *last* ?>.
> You want non-greedy matching.
>
> '.*?' is the same thing, without the greed.

Thanks you,

So i guess this needs to be written as:

src_data = re.sub( '<?(.*?)?>', '', src_data )

Tha 'r' special char doesn't need to be inserter before the regex here
due to regex ain't containing backslashes.

> You will have to find the </body> tag before inserting the string.
> str.find should help -- or you could use str.replace and replace the

Ah yes! Damn why din't i think of it.... str.replace should do the
trick. I was stuck trying to figure regexes.

So, i guess that should work:

color=green> Αριθμός Επισκεπτών: %(counter)d </font></h4></body>' )

> No it's not. You're just giving up too soon.

Yes youa re right, your hints keep me going and thank you for that.