Replace and inserting strings within .txt files with the use of regex

Νίκος nikos.the.gr33k at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 05:46:26 EDT 2010

On 9 Αύγ, 11:45, Peter Otten <__pete... at web.de> wrote:
> Νίκος wrote:

> >> If there is a folder D:\test and it does contain some PHP files (double-
> >> check!) the extension could be upper-case. Try
>
> >> if f.lower().endswith("php"): ...
>
> >> or
>
> >> php_files = fnmatch.filter(files, "*.php")
> >> for f in php_files: ...
>
> >> Peter
>
> > The extension is in in lower case. folder is there, php files is
> > there, i dont know why it doesnt't want to go into the d:\test to find
> > them.
>
> > Thast one problem.
>
> > The other one is:
>
> > i made the code simpler by specifying the filename my self.
>
> > =========================
> > # get abs path to filename
> > src_f = 'd:\\test\\index.php'
>
> > # open php src file
> > print ( 'reading from %s' % src_f )
> > f = open(src_f, 'r')
> > src_data = f.read()                # read contents of PHP file
> > f.close()
> > =========================
>
> > but  although ti nwo finds the fiel i egt this error in 'cli':
>
> > D:\>aconvert.py
> > reading from d:\test\index.php
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "D:\aconvert.py", line 16, in <module>
> >     src_data = f.read()         # read contents of PHP file
> >   File "C:\Python32\lib\encodings\cp1253.py", line 23, in decode
> >     return codecs.charmap_decode(input,self.errors,decoding_table)[0]
> > UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x9f in position
> > 321: char
> > acter maps to <undefined>
>
> > Somethign with the damn encodings again!!
>
> Hmm, at one point in this thread you switched from Python 2.x to Python 3.2.
> There are a lot of subtle and not so subtle differences between 2.x and 3.x,
> and I recommend that you stick to one while you are still in newbie mode.
>
> If you want to continue to use 3.x I recommend that you at least use the
> stable 3.1 version.
>
> Now one change from Python 2 to 3 is that open(filename, "r") gives you a
> beast that is unicode-aware and assumes that the file is encoded in utf-8
> unless you tell it otherwise with open(..., encoding=whatever). So what is
> the charset used for your index.php?
>
> Peter

Yes yesterday i switched to Python 3.2 Peter.

When i open index.php within Notapad++ it says its in utf-8 without
BOM and it contains inside exepect form english chars , greek cjhars
as well fro printing.

The file was made by my client in dreamweaver.

So since its utf-8 what the problem of opening it?