GUI automation tool (windows)

Chien tzuchien.chiu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 04:52:54 EDT 2010

On Aug 10, 5:56 am, alex23 <wuwe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex Barna <alex.lavoro.pro... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So what happens to this field (Windows GUI automation) ?
>
> Either someone cares enough to do something about it, or everyone just
> defaults to using AutoIT-like tools.

There were a lot of development but then all ceased, except pywinauto
has a final release in April, but really low community activity. Does
it mean AutoIt has much more advantages than Python tools (which I
have not realized) ?

> Which Python implementation are you planning on contributing to?

I'd say pywinauto. It's more O-O than the other tools. Excerpt from
its homepage (http://pywinauto.openqa.org/):

<quote>
Most other tools are not object oriented you end up writing stuff
like:

    window = findwindow(title = "Untitled - Notepad", class =
"Notepad")
    SendKeys(window, "%OF")  # Format -> Font
    fontdialog  = findwindow("title = "Font")
    buttonClick(fontdialog, "OK")

I was hoping to create something more userfriendly (and pythonic):

    win = app.UntitledNotepad
    win.MenuSelect("Format->Font")
    app.Font.OK.Click()
</quote>