python interview quuestions

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Aug 11 09:04:09 EDT 2010

In article <4c6298c1$0$11101$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> Sounds ridiculous, but apparently there are vast hordes of people who can
> barely program "Hello World" applying for programming jobs. One figure
> bandied about -- how accurately, I don't know -- is 199 out of every 200
> job applicants for programming jobs are barely capable of writing a line
> of code.

By the same token, there are lots of people with advanced degrees in
computer science who can't code their way out of a paper bag.

One advantage of the take-home test is that you can prepare the test
once and amortize the preparation cost over many applicants.  It's a big
investment of time to interview somebody.  By the time I get up to
investing an hour or so of my time on a phone screen, I'd like to weed
out the obvious rejects as cheaply as possible.

Even more interesting is to publish some problems on your web site and
instruct applicants to submit a solution to one of them along with their
resume.  This makes the per-applicant cost to administer the exam
essentially zero.  It also has the nice side-effect of weeding out the
resume spammers.  To be honest, I've never done this, but I've seen
companies that do.  I may try it sometime.

I still want to see the candidate write some code during the interview.
This gives me a chance to feed them a problem incrementally and see
where they take it.