errors and exception

Gary Herron gherron at
Mon Aug 16 09:29:26 CEST 2010

On 08/16/2010 12:06 AM, Alan wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using things like:
> except  Exception  as  inst:
> and

The old syntax for exceptions still works in Python2.x (all versions).
The new syntax works in Python2.6+  and Python3.

     except Exception,msg:  # Old syntax
         print msg

> with  open("myfile.txt")  as  f:
>      for  line  in  f:
>          print  line

You don't need the new fangled with statement if you want to be
compatible with older versions of Python2.  (It's nice and convenient,
but not necessary.)

f = open("myfile.txt")
for line in f:
   print line
f.close()   # This is what the "with" statement guarantees; so now just
do it yourself

Gary Herron