bash: syntax error near unexpected token

kreglet kreglet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 23:33:55 EDT 2010

Hello,

I started learning python last year. All of this time i have used the
terminal and gedit to create, modify, and test my applications and modules.
For some reason I can not do this any more.
I'll try to do my best to explain whats happening.

I have a script modtest.py which has a function to test if an int is even or
odd.

Before:
desktop:~/bin$ modtest.py
desktop:~/bin$ evenodd(45)
45 is odd

Now:
desktop:~/bin$ modtest.py
desktop:~/bin$ evenodd(45)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `45'

The above is just an example. ALL of my scripts that worked before no longer
work in the terminal yet they work in the python interpreter.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?