Open a command pipe for reading

Rodrick Brown rodrick.brown at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 12:40:39 EDT 2010

I have a fairly large file 1-2GB in size that I need to process line by line but I first need to convert the file to text using a 3rd party tool that prints the records also line by line.

I've tried using Popen to do this with no luck. I'm trying to simulate

/bin/foo myfile.dat

And as the records are being printed do some calculations.

pipe = Popen(exttool,shell=True,stdout=PIPE).stdout

for data in pipe.readlines():
    print data,

This operation blocks forever I'm guessing it's trying to process the entire file at once.

Sent from my iPhone 4.