Looking for an appropriate encoding standard that supports all languages

ata.jaf a.j.romanista at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 04:29:51 EDT 2010

On Aug 17, 11:55 pm, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollybox.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2010, it occurred to ata.jaf to exclaim:
>
> > I am developing a little program in Mac with wxPython.
> > But I have problems with the characters that are not in ASCII. Like
> > some special characters in French or Turkish.
> > So I am looking for a way to solve this. Like an encoding standard
> > that supports all languages. Or some other way.
>
> Anything that supports all of Unicode will do. Like UTF-8. If your text is
> mostly Latin, then just go for UTF-8, if you use other alphabets extensively,
> you might want to consider UTF-16, which might the use a little less space.

OK, I used UTF-8.
I write a line of strings in the source code and I want my program to
show that as an output on GUI. And this line of strings includes a
character like "ü". But I see that in GUI this character is replaced
with another strange characters. I mean it doesn't work.
And when I try to use UTF-16, I get an syntax error that declares
"UTF-16 stream does not start with BOM".