requirements in writing an email/rss/usenet client?

Aahz aahz at
Fri Aug 20 17:45:44 CEST 2010

In article <eb32afd4-a231-4582-89c8-e927c2ff6f71 at>,
George Oliver  <georgeolivergo at> wrote:
>I'd like to know what to consider when writing an email/rss/usenet
>client. Apologies for such a broad question, but I've never attempted
>a project of this scope and I'm currently feeling out the

About the only advice I can give you to such a broad question is the
aphorism "Be strict about what you send; be generous about what you
receive".  IOW, follow the standards very very carefully in sending
messages but be very very lenient with what you accept (just make sure
you don't crash).

Overall, you probably will get discouraged eventually, so I suggest that
you try to have as much fun as possible along the way.
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

"...if I were on life-support, I'd rather have it run by a Gameboy than a
Windows box."  --Cliff Wells