How far can stack [LIFO] solve do automatic garbage collection and prevent memory leak ?

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sat Aug 21 19:56:00 EDT 2010

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> writes:

> John Passaniti <john.passaniti at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Amen!  All this academic talk is useless.  Who cares about things like
>> the big-O notation for program complexity.  Can't people just *look*
>> at code and see how complex it is?!  And take things like the years of
>> wasted effort computer scientists have put into taking data structures
>> (like hashes and various kinds of trees) and extending them along
>> various problem domains and requirements.  Real programmers don't
>> waste their time with learning that junk.  What good did any of that
>> ever do anyone?!
>
> It is my experience that in particular graduated (and in particular Phd)
> computer scientists don't waste their time _applying_ that junk.

Question: do you have a degree in computer science?

Since in my experience: people who talk about their experience with
graduated people often missed the boat themselves and think that reading
a book or two equals years of study.

Oh, and rest assured, it works both ways: people who did graduate are
now and then thinking it's the holy grail and no body can beat it with
home study.

Both are wrong, by the way.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/