How far can stack [LIFO] solve do automatic garbage collection and prevent memory leak ?

1001nuits 1001nuits at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 17:40:55 EDT 2010

Le Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:12:36 +0200, John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> a
écrit:

> David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> writes:
>
>> John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> writes:

>>> Question: do you have a degree in computer science?
>>>
>>> Since in my experience: people who talk about their experience with
>>> graduated people often missed the boat themselves and think that
>>> reading
>>> a book or two equals years of study.
>>
>> I have a degree in electrical engineering.  But that's similarly
>> irrelevant.
>
> Nah, it's not: your attitude towards people with a degree in computer
> science agrees with what I wrote.
>
>> That has not particularly helped my respect towards CS majors and PhDs
>> in the function of programmers (and to be honest: their education is not
>> intended to make them good programmers, but to enable them to _lead_
>> good programmers).
>
> I disagree.
>
>> That does not mean that I am incapable of analyzing, say quicksort and
>> mergesort,
>
> Oh, that's what I was not implying. I am convinced that quite some
> people who do self-study can end up with better understanding of things
> than people who do it for a degree. I have done both: I already was
> programming in several languages before I was studying CS. And my
> experience is that a formal study in CS can't compare to home study
> unless you're really good and have the time and drive to read formal
> books written on CS. And my experience is that most self-educaters don't
> have that time.
>
> On the other hand: some people I knew during my studies had no problem
> at all with introducing countless memory leaks in small programs (and
> turning off compiler warnings, because it gave so much noise...)
>
>> Donald Knuth never studied computer science.
>
> Yes, yes, and Albert Einstein worked at an office.
>
> Those people are very rare.
>
> But my experience (see for plenty of examples: Slashdot) is that quite
> some people who don't have a degree think that all that formal education
> is just some paper pushing and doesn't count. While some of those who do
> have the paper think they know it all. Those people who are right in
> either group are a minority in my experience.
>
> As for electrical engineering: done that (BSc) and one of my class mates
> managed to connect a transformer the wrong way around.... twice. Yet he
> had the highest mark in our class.
>
> So in short: yes, self-study can make you good at something. But
> self-study IMO is not in general a replacement for a degree. Someone who
> can become great after self-study would excel at a formal study and
> learn more. Study works best if there is competition and if there are
> challenges. I still study a lot at home, but I do miss the challenges
> and competition.

Hi all,

I quite agree with the fact that self learning is not enough.

Another thing you learn in studying in University is the fact that you can
be wrong, which is quite difficult to accept for self taught people. When
you work in groups, you are bound to admit that you don't have the best
solution all the time. To my experience, self-taught people I worked with
had tremendous difficulties to accept that they were wrong, that their
design was badly done, that their code was badly written or strangely
designed.

Because self teaching was done with a lot of efforts, in particular to
figure out complex problems on their own. Most of the time, the self
learned people are attached to the things they learned by themselves and
have difficulties to envisage that being right of wrong is often not an
issue provided the group comes to the best option. They often live
contradiction as a personal offense while it is just work, you know.

That's another interest of the degree, confrontation with other people
that have the same background. And letting the things learned at the place
they should be and not in the affective area.

1001

--
Utilisant le logiciel de courrier révolutionnaire d'Opera :
http://www.opera.com/mail/