Reading the access attributes of directories in Windows

vsoler vicente.soler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 09:55:31 EDT 2010

On Aug 21, 8:10 am, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> On 20/08/2010 11:54 PM, vsoler wrote:
>
> > I'am testing your library. I am mainly interested in knowing the
> > access attributes of directories in the local(C:\) or shared unit(W:\)
> > of my system.
>
> > Using your script with 'c:\\' I get an error message saying... 'file
> > exists but it is a directory' and I cannot go any further.
>
> > Of course, the problem is that I am using "fs.file" when I should be
> > using something different.
>
> Either use fs.dir (if you know it's a directory) or fs.entry (if it
> could be a file or a directory; the code will dispatch to the right one).
>
> If you only want the directories immediately some directory,
> you could do this:
>
> <code>
> from winsys import fs, security
>
> root = fs.file (sys.executable).path  # or fs.dir ("w:/") etc.
> for d in root.dirs (ignore_access_errors=True):
>    print (d, "=>", d.security ()) # or whatever
>
> </code>
>
> If you want to walk the tree of directories looking at permissions, then:
>
> <code>
> import os, sys
> from winsys import fs
>
> root = fs.file (sys.executable).path
> for dirpath, _, _ in root.walk ():
>    print (dirpath, "=>", dirpath.security ())
>
> </code>
>
> > Reading the doc I have found that I should be using os.walk(...),
> > which works, but then I cannot use fs.file
>
> In fact, even if you did for some reason use os.walk, you can
> easily wrap the returned filenames using fs.entry:
>
> <code>
> import os, sys
> from winsys import fs
>
> root = os.path.dirname (sys.executable)
> for dirpath, filenames, dirnames in os.walk (root):
>    print (dirpath, "=>", fs.entry (dirpath).security ())
>
> </code>
>
> TKG

Tim,

One of your scripts still does not work on my system:

==> If you want to walk the tree of directories looking at
permissions, then:

<code>
import os, sys
from winsys import fs

root = fs.file (sys.executable).path
for dirpath, _, _ in root.walk ():
   print (dirpath, "=>", dirpath.security ())
</code>

However, I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Local/test4.py", line 5, in <module>
    root = fs.file (r'W:\FRIB\ELPR\$DATA\DPT-FINANZAS').path
  File "C:\Program Files\Python31\lib\site-packages\winsys\fs.py",
line 1775, in file
    raise x_fs (None, "file", "%s exists but is a directory" %
filepath)
winsys.fs.x_fs: (None, 'file', 'W:\\FRIB\\ELPR\\$DATA\\DPT-FINANZAS
exists but is a directory')

That is, I am interested in looking for directories, but the problem
is that the path is a directory.

I'm sure there must be some way to get around this problem.

Thank you

Vicente Soler