IDLE will not startup after upgrading Python on Mac OS X

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Aug 23 16:20:17 EDT 2010

In article
<AANLkTi=n=fWBwymyiuuhA0jwCWeVfemZ83wCXHhsYi0k at mail.gmail.com>,
 Benjamin Kaplan <benjamin.kaplan at case.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Frederick Manley <fmanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > so went to
> > python.org to download Python 2.7, as I was "strongly encouraged" to do on
> > the website.
[...]
> >The only problem is, whenever I start it
> > up (I've tried starting it from the Terminal and double clicking the icon) I
> > get the following message:
> > "Idle's subprocess cannot make connection.  Either Idle can't start a
> > subprocess or a personal firewall is blocking the connection."
> > Searching various programming forums came up with similar problems users
> > have had in windows, but I couldn't find any information on how to fix this
> > problem on a mac with OSX.  Please help.
> >From the title, this may be relevant, but I'm not sure because I'm
> having trouble accessing the bug tracker right now.
> http://bugs.python.org/issue9227

Yes, you are undoubtedly running into Issue9227.  This is a known
problem with IDLE and Tkinter on OS X 10.6 when using the python.org 2.7
installer "for OS X 10.5 and later".  Until a replacement installer is
made available, the simplest workaround is to just re-install 2.7 using
the 32-bit OS X installer "for OS X 10.3 and later" (available here
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/).

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org