How far can stack [LIFO] solve do automatic garbage collection and prevent memory leak ?

Richard Owlett rowlett at pcnetinc.com
Tue Aug 24 17:12:32 EDT 2010

David Kastrup wrote:
> John Bokma<john at castleamber.com>  writes:
>
>> On the other hand: some people I knew during my studies had no problem
>> at all with introducing countless memory leaks in small programs (and
>> turning off compiler warnings, because it gave so much noise...)
>
> [...]
>
>> As for electrical engineering: done that (BSc) and one of my class
>> mates managed to connect a transformer the wrong way
>> around.... twice. Yet he had the highest mark in our class.
>
> Anybody worth his salt in his profession has a trail of broken things in
> his history.  The faster it thinned out, the better he learned.  The
> only reliable way never to break a thing is not to touch it in the first
> place.  But that will not help you if it decides to break on its own.

*LOL* !!!
I remember the day a very senior field service engineer for a
multi-national minicomputer mfg plugged 16k (or was it 32k) of
core (back when a core was visible to naked eye ;) the wrong way
into a backplane. After the smoke cleared ... snicker snicker.

I also remember writing a failure report because someone
installed a grounding strap 100 degrees out of orientation on a
piece of multi kV switchgear.(don't recall nominal capacity, buck
backup generator was rated for 1.5 MW continuous ;) P.S. failure
was demonstrated as manufacturer's senior sales rep was
demonstrating how easy it was to do maintenance on the system.
There were times I had fun writing up inspection reports.