adodbapi help needed

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Tue Aug 24 17:17:22 EDT 2010

On 8/24/2010 1:38 PM Ian said...
> On 24/08/2010 18:08, Emile van Sebille wrote:
>> On 8/24/2010 8:25 AM Ian Hobson said...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am just starting to learn Python and I have a setup problem - I think.
>>> Python 3.1.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>

>>> def connect(connection_string, timeout=30):
>>>
>>> I expected that to be called.
>>>
>>> What have I missed?
>>>

>> The current revision includes the caveat:
>>
>> This module source should run correctly in CPython versions 2.3 and
>> later, or IronPython version 2.6 and later, or, after running through
>> 2to3.py, CPython 3.0 or later.
>>
>> Does that help?
>>
>> Emile
>>
> Thanks for the response Emile,
>
> I have also removed all my Python installations and started again - with
> same result.
> After installing Python3.1 and pywin32-214.win32-py3.1.exe (which
> includes adodbapi)
> I was getting System does not exist.
>
> I have run 2to3.py on adodbapi and I still get this trackback.
>
> D:\websites\moschatel\sop\Printing>test.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "D:\websites\moschatel\sop\Printing\test.py", line 16, in <module>
> import adodbapi
> File "C:\Python31\lib\site-packages\adodbapi\__init__.py", line 1, in
> <module>
>
> from .adodbapi import *
> File "C:\Python31\lib\site-packages\adodbapi\adodbapi.py", line 57, in
> <module
>  >
> from System import Activator, Type, DBNull, DateTime, Array, Byte
> ImportError: No module named System
>
> I suspect that is movement, not progress. :)

In a windows environment 3.x and 2.x live side-by-side without issues.
I haven't made the jump yet to using 3.x for production, but as the
warning says "... should run correctly ..." I'd try next with
activestate's 2.x version which should come with all the right bits and
pieces, and particularly as you're just starting out using 2.x shouldn't
matter much.

HTH,

Emile