numpy is not installed with Python2.

justin justpark78 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 14:38:56 EDT 2010

On Aug 27, 12:10 pm, Robert Kern <robert.k... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/27/10 11:40 AM, justin wrote:
>

> > My university has a cluster computer, on which I want to run my python
> > program that uses numpy.
> > I am installing my Python2.7 locally separated from the main system,
> > and trying to install numpy, attach it with Python2.7.
> > I used many different versions of numpys to make it happen, but I got
> > stuck with the same following error on every trial,
>
> > "[hp6 at login1 numpy]$ python2.7 setup.py install
> > Running from numpy source directory.Traceback (most recent call last):
> >    File "setup.py", line 210, in<module>
> >      setup_package()
> >    File "setup.py", line 187, in setup_package
> >      from numpy.distutils.core import setup
> >    File "/users/hp6/DOWN/numpy/numpy/distutils/core.py", line 25, in
> > <module>
> >      from numpy.distutils.command import config, config_compiler, \
> >    File "/users/hp6/DOWN/numpy/numpy/distutils/command/build_ext.py",
> > line 9, in<module>
> >      from distutils.command.build_ext import build_ext as old_build_ext
> >    File "/users/hp6/apps/python27/lib/python2.7/distutils/command/
> > build_ext.py", line 13, in<module>
> >      from site import USER_BASE, USER_SITE
> > ImportError: cannot import name USER_BASE"
>
> > It seems the error is related to the inability of Python2.7 to process
> > "from site import USER_BASE, USER_SITE",
> > since the machine I succeeded to install numpy with Python2.7 doesn't
> > prompt an error from this command,
> > whereas this machine in which I failed to do so cannot handle this.
>
> Your Python installation appears to be broken. Find the site.py module that you
> are actually importing. I.e. from the numpy source directory:
>
>    $ python2.7 -c "import site; print site.__file__"
>
> This will tell you the site.pyc file that actually gets imported. Find the
> associated site.py file (it should be in the same directory) and check to see if
> it has USER_BASE defined. The filename should be
>
>    /users/hp6/apps/python27/lib/python2.7/site.pyc
>
> If it isn't, that may be the source of your problem.
>
> --
> Robert Kern

>   that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
>   an underlying truth."
>    -- Umberto Eco

Dear Kern,

Thanks a lot.
Your quick and detailed comment saves me a lot of time and effort
now.

It seems the file path links are out of order as you diagnosed.
Like you said, there is a site.py on /users/hp6/apps/python27/lib/
python2.7/.
But when I typed in "$ python2.7 -c "import site; print
site.__file__", it refers to another place:
"/opt/apps/gurobi/3.0.0/linux64/lib/python2.5/site.pyc", and it
doesn't have USER_BASE!

So I changed the value of PYTHONPATH accordingly.

Thanks again,
Justin.