Queue cleanup

Steven D'Aprano steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au
Mon Aug 30 03:39:01 EDT 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 00:22:17 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

> I don't think a C compiler could really manage automatic decrementing
> while still being C.  Think especially of the common style of exception
> handling in C using longjmp.

You might very well be right. But that's the problem with C -- it's too
low a level language to expect the compiler to protect you much. Or at
all. There will always be some use cases for managing memory yourself, or
even managing the return stack (as you can do in Forth, for example), and
so there will always need to be some sort of high-level assembler like C.
But it astounds me that in 2010 people still routinely use C for normal,
everyday application programming.

--
Steven