PyGeo

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollybox.de
Mon Aug 30 04:59:10 EDT 2010

On Monday 30 August 2010, it occurred to L to exclaim:
> I have tried it and as soon as you try any of the examples  in the
> examples dir it cannot find numpy etc....
>
> I have manually move the pygeo dirs and contents to
> /usr/lib/python2.6/dis-packages,
>
>   (this is the directory where numpy, numeric and scipy were installed
> when using synaptic )
>
>   made sure that    read and write permissions set for ALL FILES and
> DIRECTORIES to RW using sudo chmod 777

Wait -- did you just try to use pymaxima, or did you properly (try to) install
the dependencies?

You need VPython. It's in the ubuntu archives.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/python-visual

And then you need to download and install pygeo.
http://pygeo.sourceforge.net/download.html
It probably uses distutils, so you'd extract the source archive and run
sudo python setup.py install

If THAT gives you any errors, then please come back here, with the exact error
messages. If it works, then PyGeo should be installed. If it still doesn't
work, then there's certainly a chance it won't work, but you can still ask
here for help, with the exact error messages, so we have something to build
upon when trying to figure out what's wrong.

 - Thomas