Installing Python as Scripting Language in IIS

naugiedoggie michael.a.powe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 21:55:20 EDT 2010

Hello,

Windows 2003, 64-bit, standard edition server with IIS 6.0.  I
followed the MS instruction sheets on setting up CGI application with
Python as scripting engine.  I'm just getting 404 for the test script,
whereas an html file in the same virtual directory is properly
displayed.

Here:

Creating Applications in IIS 6.0 (IIS 6.0)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/bc0c4729-e892-4871-b8f3-fcbf489f2f09.mspx?mfr=true

Setting Application Mappings in IIS 6.0 (IIS 6.0)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/bc0c4729-e892-4871-b8f3-fcbf489f2f09.mspx?mfr=true

I mapped the exe thus:  c:\Python26\python.exe -u "%s %s"
to extension `py' for all verbs and checked the `script engine' box.

There are no errors in the script itself, i ran it from the command
line to be sure.  Further, I enabled ASP and tried using python as the
scripting language.  That generates this error:

<code>
Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0129'
Unknown scripting language
/cgi/index.asp, line 1
The scripting language 'Python' is not found on the server.
</code>

I can't find any good references for dealing with this, either.

I've dicked around with this for so long, now I don't know which way
is up, anymore.

Any thoughts on where I might be going wrong, much appreciated.

Thanks.

mp