sendmail error

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue Aug 31 07:49:29 EDT 2010

sandric ionut wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have a script for sending email from python (it is attached bellow). When I am
> launching the script I get the error:
> TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'type' objects if I use sys.argv[1], but
> if I input from the begging an email address like "email at email.com", the script
> is working OK
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ionut
>
> import
> mesaj = email.MIMEMultipart.MIMEMultipart()
> fromEmail = sys.argv[
> toEmail = os, sys, smtplib, email1]"toEmail"mesaj[
> mesaj[
> mesaj["From"] = fromEmail"To"] = toEmail"Subject"] = "Teste"mesaj[
> atasament = r"Date"] =
> email.Utils.formatdate(localtime=True)"d:\Doc1.zip"atasamentP =
> email.MIMEBase.MIMEBase(
> atasamentP.set_payload(open(atasament,
> email.Encoders.encode_base64(atasamentP)
> atasamentP.add_header(
> mesaj.attach(atasamentP)
> mesaj.attach(email.MIMEText.MIMEText(
> smtpObj =
> smtplib.SMTP('application','zip')"rb").read())'Content-Disposition','attachement;
>  filename="%s"'% os.path.basename(atasament))"Email transmis la data: ",
> email.Utils.formatdate(localtime=False)))"192.168.1.2")try
> smtpObj.sendmail(fromEmail, toEmail, mesaj.as_string())
> smtpObj.close():exceptsmtplib.SMTPException:print"eroare: "+
> smtplib.SMTPException

Three things:   When quoting code, do it exactly, and without wordwrap
in your mail program.  There are so many typos in that code sample that
it's useless, presumably because you didn't use copy/paste.

When quoting an error message, get it all.  Since you omit the
stacktrace part, we can't tell what line might be giving you that error.

Once you've noticed which line, just examine the types of each of the
elements you're combining.  If you're using the + operator, and the left
operand is a string, then the right one must also be string.  Figure out
why it's not and you have your own answer.

DaveA