Optimising literals away

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Aug 31 15:03:33 EDT 2010

On 8/30/2010 8:38 AM, Tobias Weber wrote:
> Hi,
> whenever I type an "object literal" I'm unsure what optimisation will do
> to it.

    CPython is a "naive interpreter".  It has almost no optimization.
It doesn't even really comprehend "constants".
This is an implementation problem, not a language problem.

    Shed Skin has serious optimization but limits the language.
PyPy has been trying for years, but it still barely works.
Iron Python seems to be nearing end of life, as Microsoft
phases it out.  Unladen Swallow seems to be in trouble; it's
been almost a year since the last "quarterly release".

				John Nagle