Python libs on Windows ME

hexusnexus at gmail.com hexusnexus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:09:07 EDT 2010

On Aug 31, 2:04 pm, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollybox.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 August 2010, it occurred to hexusne... at gmail.com to exclaim:
>
> > I'm not guessing that this is a problem on Windows 98, but on Windows
> > ME modules in /Lib don't seem to load.  Examples include site.py and
> > os.py which are both located in the top level Lib directory.  The same
> > thing happens with Python 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5.  I can't get IDLE to load
> > and the Python interpreter always complains that it can't load the
> > "site" module even if Python is run from the same directory as the
> > module (note: this does not happen if a module is loaded from the
> > current working directory while in the interpreter).
>
> What is sys.path set to ?
>
> python.exe -c "import sys; print(sys.path)"
>
> It sounds like the stdlib directory is not on sys.path. Couldn't say why
> though...
>

> > I would use another os like Linux or Windows 2000, but this particular
> > computer can't even seem to handle even the most minimal graphical
> > Linux distributions.
>
> Really? I'm sure you can get Linux on there somehow. It might not be trivial,
> but it should definitely be possible. Out of interest: what distros did you
> try?

I think Puppy Linux might work, but I'd need GTK for wxPython, and I
assume that means version 2 of GTK which I'm not sure comes with Puppy
Linux and I've experienced problems in the past compiling GTK with './
configure && make' and so on.

Yeah, for some reason, the sys.path variable was set with 'python'
instead of 'Python25'.  Funny how I never had that problem on Windows
XP.  Renaming the directory or appending to sys.path fixes that
problem.