Why is python not written in C++ ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Aug 2 20:47:42 EDT 2010

In article
<0ed1fb16-87cb-4fb9-85b2-08d876445d5d at q22g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
 sturlamolden <sturlamolden at yahoo.no> wrote:

> The typical examples revealing incompetence are use of
> new[] instead of std::vector

To be fair, there were usable C++ compilers before there were usable STL
implementations.  Thus, it should not be surprising to find older C++
code bases eschewing the use of STL.  That's not to say that this trend
should be propagated in current educational material.

> and dynamic resourse allocation outside contructors.

This one I don't understand.  Yes, I get RAII, but surely there are
valid reasons to allocate memory outside of constructors.  Containers
which resize themselves (such as std::vector) are one obvious example.