Running python script before user login

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollybox.de
Sun Aug 22 06:47:57 EDT 2010

On Sunday 22 August 2010, it occurred to Mahmood Naderan to exclaim:
> >Specify exactly how it's not working.
>
> I have wrote a script to send my ip address to an email address. It does
> work when I am login (python sendip.py). I then followed the procedure in
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RcLocalHowto. However after restart, no
> email is sent.

The first step would be to make sure your init script is actually running. Add
some simple command that you know will not fail, and where you can see easily
that it worked. Say, you could use

#!/bin/sh

date > /home/[USER]/Desktop/created_during_boot.txt

as an init script. Then you could see that, if the file was created on your
desktop, that the script is running at all. When you know that, THEN you can
start to worry about Python

(I think Ubuntu probably doesn't bring up the network before NetworkManager
does this after login. So you might just not be able to send e-mail before
login. You can check this by saving the output of /sbin/ifconfig somewhere)