Decorate un Frame with window managers title bar, etc en Tkinter 8.5

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.nospam.com
Thu Dec 2 04:21:49 EST 2010

In article <mailman.101.1291218554.2649.python-list at python.org>,
 craf <prog at vtr.net> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I use python 3.1 and Tkinter 8.5 in Ubuntu 9.10
>
> I would like to turn a frame into a toolbox,
> ,and for that I read that you can use the command wm manage (window)
>
> The information can be found  at:
> http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/TkCmd/wm.htm#M39
>
> the explanation says:
>
> wm manage widget:
>         The widget specified will become a stand alone top-level window.
>         The window will be decorated with the window managers title bar,
>         etc. Only frame, labelframe and toplevel widgets can be used
>         with this command. Attempting to pass any other widget type will
>         raise an error. Attempting to manage a toplevel widget is benign
>         and achieves nothing. See also GEOMETRY MANAGEMENT.
>
> I have tried to use it in Tkinter but I can not know how is its
> structure.
>
> In Tkinter should be:
>
> ---TEST CODE-------------------
>
> from Tkinter import
>
> master = Tk()
> frame = Frame(master)
> wm_manager(Frame)
> master.mainloop()
>
> --------------------------------
>
> But this does not work.

If your version of Tkinter supports it, then the correct syntax is:
frame.wm_manage()
Please note you have to call it on the Frame instance (the one you named
frame), and not on Frame with a big F which is the class.

If it says the method doesn't exist (AttributeError raised on the line
frame.wm_manage()), you can also try to do it at tcl/tk level with the
line:
master.tk.call('wm', 'manage', frame)

> I appreciate any of this item

HTH