How to add data into exisitng Excel file at next open row?

noydb noydb00 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 12:21:52 EST 2010

How can you determine the next open row in an existing Excel file such
that you can start adding data to the cells in that row?  As in below,
I want a variable in place of the 6 (row 6 in the four ws1.Cells(x,1)
lines), but have no other way of knowing what row I am on besides
looking to the first free cell in column A.  How to do?  Examples I
see make it seem really complicated - this can't be that hard.

Thanks for any help.

worksheet = "C:\\Excel_Reports\\ea" + ea + "report"# + ".xls"
xlApp = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
xlApp.Visible = 1
xlApp.Workbooks.Open(worksheet) ## for existing file
##xlApp.SheetsInNewWorkbook = 1
##wb = xlApp.Workbooks()
ws1 = xlApp.Worksheets(1)

ws1.Cells(6,1).Value = "selection"