Which non SQL Database ?

Jorge Biquez jbiquez at icsmx.com
Sat Dec 4 18:43:48 EST 2010

At 05:02 p.m. 04/12/2010, you wrote:
>Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at icsmx.com> writes:
>
> > Hello all.
> >
> > Newbie question. Sorry.
> >
> > As part of my process to learn python I am working on two personal
> > applications. Both will do it fine with a simple structure of data
> > stored in files. I now there are lot of databases around I can use but
> > I would like to know yoor advice on what other options you would
> > consider for the job (it is training so no pressure on
> > performance). One application will run as a desktop one,under Windows,
> > Linux, Macintosh, being able to update data, not much, not complex,
> > not many records. The second application, running behind  web pages,
> > will do the same, I mean, process simple data, updating showing
> > data. not much info, not complex. As an excersice it is more than
> > enough I guess and will let me learn what I need for now.
> > Talking with a friend about what he will do (he use C only) he suggest
> > to take a look on dBase format file since it is a stable format, fast
> > and the index structure will be fine or maybe go with BD (Berkley)
> > database file format (I hope I understood this one correctly) . Plain
> > files it is not an option since I would like to have option to do
> > rapid searches.
> >
> > What would do you suggest to take a look? If possible available under
> > the 3 plattforms.
>
>Have you considered sqlite3? It is part of the Python standard library.
>It'll work under GNU/Linux, Windows and Mac OSX.  For more details see:
>
>     http://docs.python.org/library/sqlite3.html
>
>--
>Arnaud
>--

Hello all.

Ok. sqlite3 seems like it is the best option since it is part of
python already.... you are right of course.

I do not see a good reason for not using Sqlite3 BUT if for some
reason would not be an option.... what plain schema of files would
you use? I am sorry to insist. I do not know much about the size tha
using Sqlite adds to the application but the idea is that the ,
application, single user for desktop yes, will be the smallest it can
be since the idea is to distribute the executable only. (all this is
to have a prototype I have done in other language)

For the web part, yes, of course would be multiple users.

Thanks to all.

Jorge Biquez