Which non SQL Database ?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Dec 4 19:01:32 EST 2010

Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at icsmx.com> writes:

> I do not see a good reason for not using Sqlite3 BUT if for some
> reason would not be an option.... what plain schema of files would you
> use? I am sorry to insist.

SQLite stores the entire database in a single file. Does that answer the
question? I'm not sure I understand.

Preferably, check SQLite's own site <URL:http://www.sqlite.org/> for
answers, since it seems your concerns are not specific to Python. If you
have Python-specific concerns about SQLite you'll need to make them more
explicit for us to answer them.

> I do not know much about the size tha using Sqlite adds to the
> application

As you noted, SQLite is already in the Python standard library.

> For the web part, yes, of course would be multiple users.

Systems like Berkeley DB, SQLite, dBase, et cetera achieve their
simplicity at the expense of concurrent access to the database.

If you want concurrent access to the database by many connections,
that's where you need to look at a more sophisticated solution. For
efficient concurrent access, a DBMS such as PostgreSQL is the best
choice.

--
 \       “When I was little, my grandfather used to make me stand in a |
  `\   closet for five minutes without moving. He said it was elevator |