PEP8 compliance and exception messages ?

shearichard shearichard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 22:40:47 EST 2010

Hi - PEP8 says lines should not exceed 79 characters in length
( http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/ ).

So if you've got some code that looks like this :

raise fooMod.fooException("Some message which is quite long")

... and assuming a certain amount of indenting you're going to break
that guideline.

However there's a way around that ! You can do this ...

raise fooMod.fooException("\
        Some message \
        which is quite long")

... but the trouble is when that Exception is raised the message is
displayed as :

"Some message                     which is quite long"

I'm aware that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of something or
the other so maybe I should just let the PEP8 verifier complain but
otherwise does anyone have any ideas for how to get around this ?

Thanks

richard