64 bit memory usage

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Dec 11 09:32:39 EST 2010

On 12/10/2010 2:03 PM, Rob Randall wrote:
> I manged to get my python app past 3GB on a smaller 64 bit machine.
> On a test to check memory usage with gc disabled only an extra 6MB was
> used.
> The figures were 1693MB to 1687MB.
>
> This is great.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

Do remember, though, that with the GC turned off you will "lose" memory
if you accidentally create cyclic data structures, since they will never
be reclaimed. It doesn't sound like this is an issue, but I wanted this
to act as a warning to others who might come across your solution but
have programmed less carefully.

regards
 Steve
PyCon 2011 Atlanta March 9-17       http://us.pycon.org/