ANN: Shed Skin 0.7

Mark Dufour mark.dufour at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 11:34:04 EST 2010

hi malcolm,

Congratulations on your latest release!

thanks! :D

> How well do python extension modules created with ShedSkin work with
> applications that expose a GUI, eg. Tkinter or wxPython apps?

quite well I think, but there are some limitations you probably want to be
aware of. these are described in the tutorial.

> Can ShedSkin code be run in a thread and communicate with the main
> interpreter thread through a Queue or Lock? (Or should one use the
> multiprocessing module?)

I'm sure things are not thread safe, so you probably want to use the
multiprocessing module. how to do this is also described in the tutorial
(it's very simple). you probably don't want to use threading anyway for
computationally intensive code (because of the GIL).

several of the shedskin examples have a GUI, and the new 'pylot' example
both has a GUI and uses the multiprocessing module in combination with a
shedskin-generated extension module.

thanks,
mark.
--