Catching user switching and getting current active user from root on linux

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Wed Dec 22 16:06:18 EST 2010

On 12/22/2010 11:28 AM mpnordland said...
> ok, I'll give one more chance.

... which probably won't be enough -- this is potentially a huge
question you're asking with lots of little bits to put together.  I have
an installation where I did somthing similar seven-ish years ago using
squid, squidguard, blacklists from Université Toulouse in France,
python, iptables, sql, php, zope, bash, and who knows what else.  It
authenticates, logs, tracks, blocks, unblocks, reports activity on an
automated In and Out board by user, provides historical stats, automates
new user setup and invalidation, and probably more.  I put maybe a week
or two into it initially, and about the same again over the years adding
to it.

> First, to pacify those who hate google groups: What is a good usenet
> client?

I use thunderbird to access gmane groups.

> second, How should I set up this proxy so that when a connection is
> made, it request's authentication, and then log's the request, if
> authentication is not gotten, how do I have it block (or firewall) the
> request? Furthermore, I would like for the proxy to be squid. So all
> of the nitty gritty should have to do with squid.

... and that's where I'd start looking.  Check out the current status of
Squid to see how much of what you want can be done out of the box.  When
you hit the limits of what it'll do for you, start writing glue to fill
in the puzzle.

HTH,

Emile