Trying to parse a HUGE(1gb) xml file

Alan Meyer ameyer2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 15:55:31 EST 2010

On 12/26/2010 3:15 PM, Tim Harig wrote:
> The problem is that XML has become such a defacto standard that it
> used automatically, without thought, even when there are much better
> alternatives available.

I agree with you but, as you say, it has become a defacto standard.  As
a result, we often need to use it unless there is some strong reason to
use something else.

The same thing can be said about relational databases.  There are
applications for which a hierarchical database makes more sense, is more
efficient, and is easier to understand.  But anyone who recommends a
database that is not relational had better be prepared to defend his
choice with some powerful reasoning because his management, his
customers, and the other programmers on his team are probably going to
need a LOT of convincing.

And of course there are many applications where XML really is the best.
  It excels at representing complex textual documents while still
allowing programmatic access to individual items of information.

     Alan