Python - NAWIT / Community

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Dec 28 06:16:17 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 02:26 -0800, flebber wrote:
> Can't help thinking they open sourced Pydev so they could bench it.

So?  That isn't uncommon at all;  to Open Source when you've moved on.

> I started thinking that the only consistent env each python person has
> is idle as it ships in the install.

There is a plethora of Python IDE's [personally I use Monodevelop, which
supports Python, and is fast and stable].

> Sometimes we can contribute with money and sometimes with time, if I
> was to contribute money to ensure that I and all new coming python
> programmers could have a first class development environment to use
> what would I donate to? At the moment no particular group seems
> applicable.

Many projects accept donations via PayPal.  Sourceforge supports this.

> Is pydev actively being developed and for who? SPE is a great idea but
> is Stan still developing? Pyscripter is good but not 64 capable. Plus
> none of these projects seem community centric.

Why not just check the repo and see the real answer for yourself?  It is
Open Source after all.
<https://github.com/aptana/Pydev/commits/master>

> Maybe its just my wish, maybe something already exists, but to my mind
> why is there not a central python community ide or plugin setup like
> pydev or using pydev(since currently it is very good - to me), which I
> know or at least could confidently donate time or money to further
> python.

You could checkout the code of any Python IDE and hack on it.

> I think a community plugin architecture which contained components
> like pydev, pyscripter, eclipse and eggs/pypm packages would give a
> place I can contribute time as my skills grow and confidently donate
> money knowing I am assisting the development of community tools and
> packages we all can use.

So just do it.